Dr. Carol's Academic History
||Psychoanalyst; Clinical Psychologist
||Buffalo, New York
||Psychoanalyst: Graduate of Toronto Institute of Psychoanalysis (1989)|
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology: State University of New York at Buffalo (1976)
Graduate Psychotherapist: Advanced Training Program in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, Boston , MA (1979-1984)
||B.A., Mount Holyoke College (1969) (Graduated in 3 years)
||Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude
||Licensed in New York State
- Founder: Association of the Advancement of Contemporary Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (2010), an affiliate of the International Association for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology
- Member: International Council of Self Psychology (2000 to present) and the Eastern Division of the International Council of Self Psychology (1996 to present)
- Canadian Psychoanalytic Society: Douglas Levin Essay Prize (1986)
- Woodrow Wilson Visiting Fellow, (Co-participant, 1987)
- Executive Counselor of the American Psychoanalytic Association for Psychoanalytic Society of Upstate New York (2001- )
- Edith Sabshin Teaching Award - American Psychoanalytic Association (2001)
- Board Certified, Founding Fellow of the American College of Advanced Practice Psychologists (FACAPP) 2002
- Psychoanalytic Society of Upstate New York (Member, Past President)
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- International Psychoanalytical Association (Member)
- Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute (Member)
- American Psychological Association
- Massachusetts Psychological Association
- Psychological Association of Western New York
- The National Register of Health Service Psychologists
- Fellow and Diplomate, American Board of Medical Psychotherapists
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine (1982 to present)
- Psychoanalytic Society of Upstate New York (1989 to Present, Past President, Past Secretary)
- Clinical Associate: Saint Luke Institute, Silver Springs, Maryland (1993 to 2009)
- Co-Founded Psychoanalytic Study Group which meets monthly (1993 to present)
- Psychoanalytic Faculty and Supervising Analyst, The National Training Program in Contemporary Psychoanalysis, The National Institute for the Psychotherapies (1998 to 1999)
- Psychological Consultant to The Buffalo Seminary (Private Girls’ High School) (2002 to 2003)
- Advisory Committee: Member, Breast Cancer Resource Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York (1997)
- Buffalo Psychoanalytic Interest Group (BPIG)
- Lynch, P., & Munschauer, C. (2009). Religion as a Path to Emotional Well-Being. Human Development, Vol 30:Number 4, 39-44.
- Munschauer, C., & Hood, D. (2004). How to Bounce Back When You Think You Can’t: The P.R.I.D.E. Factor—For Adults, Parents, Teachers, and All Those Who Care for Children (or for the Child Within Themselves). Authorhouse.com. (2004).
- Munschauer, C. & Fosshage, J. (2004). “Facilitative Analytic Interaction in a Case of Extreme Nihilism and Aversiveness,” Transformations in Self Psychology: Progress in Self Psychology, 20:21-47.
- Munschauer, C. (2003). Psychological Impact of Infertility, American Infertility Association, International Patient Organization Publication for World Infertility Month.
- Munschauer, C. (2000). Optimal Responsiveness and the Use of Specificity Theory in Clinical Practice (a review of the panel: Bacal, H,; Herzog, B.; Lenoff, L.; Rosenstein, R.; Lester, J.; Munschauer, C.; and Breslin, M.) at the Self Psychology Conference 2000, in Self Psychology News, June, 2001.
- Munschauer, C. (1998). Shame: The Dark Shadow of Infertility in Morrison, A. and Lansky, M., editors, New Perspectives on Shame.
- Munschauer, C. (1994). A Well-kept Secret: Psychoanalysis in Buffalo. The Round Robin, April 1994.
- Munschauer, C. (1993). Shame, The Dark Shadow of Infertility. Resolve Newsletter, April 1993.
- Munschauer, C. (1987). The Patient Chase: A Bridge Between the Theories of Kernberg and Kohut. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 7(1), 99-120.
- Munschauer, C., & Pearson, P. (1986). Lawyers Have Feelings Too: Or How Professionals Can Learn to Employ Their Own Emotions. The Bulletin of the Bar Association of Erie County, Vol. 26, No. 10.
- Munschauer, C., & Cohen, I. (1985). Patterns of Thought Disorder: Overinclusion and Overexclusion in Schizophrenics, Manics, and Other Psychopathological Groups. Psychological Reports, 57, 515-524.
Professional And Academic Presentations
- Crossroads Radio interview with Father Patrick Lynch: Oct 2, 2005 - The P.R.I.D.E. Factor; Nov 6, 2005 - Emotions and Religion.
- Presentation at the Twenty-seventh Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2004): Plenary Session: Discussion of Case of Renee, Panel 3, from the Perspective of Specificity Theory.
- Presentation at the Twenty-seventh Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2004): Introduction and Meet the Authors of How to Bounce Back When You Thing You Can’t: The P.R.I.D.E. Factor—For Adults, Parents, Teachers, and All Those Who Care For Children (or for The Child Within Themselves). Authorhouse.com. (2004).
- Poster Session: New York Association of School Psychologists Fall Conference “Taking Control of Change” (2004). Title of Poster: “How to Bounce Back When You Think You Can’t: The P.R.I.D.E. Factor” by Carol A. Munschauer, Ph.D. and Dave Hood.
- Presentation at The Twenty Sixth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2003), presenting paper: “On Getting Into the Act: A Values Perspective in Working With ‘Action Symptoms’.”
- Presentation on “The Development and Maintenance of the Sense of Self” to students at The Buffalo Seminary (Private Girls’ High School) (March 2003)
- Teach sequence on Self Psychology to Second Year Psychiatry Residents, SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine (1997 to present).
- Mentor for the Fellowship Program of the American Psychoanalytic Association (2002 to 2004)
- Full Day Workshop for Jesuits New York Province Meeting on “Boundary Consciousness” (September 21, 2002)
- Two hour presentation Daughters of Charity Provincial Meeting, Albany, NY, on “Mid-Life Challenges and Inspiration”, July 2002.
- Lecture on “Pedophilia and the Crisis in the Church” at St. Joseph’s University Parish, May, 2002 (150 attendees).
- Twenty Fifth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2002), Master Class Leader.
- Twenty Fourth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2001), paper presented: "Facilitative Analytic Interaction in a case of Extreme Nihilism and Aversiveness." James Fosshage, Ph.D., and Carol Munschauer, Ph.D.
- Twenty Third Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (2000), co-led workshop with Doctors Howard Bacal and Bruce Herzog, and also Les Lenoff, M.S.W., on "Optimal Responsiveness."
- Two hour workshop at the State University of New York at Buffalo Student Counseling Center on Self-Psychology, April 1999, and October, 2000.
- Twenty Second Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1999), co-led three workshops and did a clinical case presentation with Drs. Howard Bacal and Bruce Herzog, and also Les Lenoff, M.S.W., on "Optimal Responsiveness."
- Twenty Second Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1999), co-led discussion groups on plenary sessions with Drs. Shelly Doctors and Sandra Palef.
- Two hour presentation "Introduction to Self Psychology" at the Analytical Psychology Society of Western New York, May 26, 1999.
- Twenty Second Annual Conference on the Psychology of Self (1999), presented case material for workshop with Drs. Howard Bacal and Bruce Herzog, and also Les Lenoff, M.S.W., illustrating the theory of "Optimal Responsiveness."
- Christ The King Seminary: Full day workshop for Seminarians on "Boundaries" (1998)
- Twenty First Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1998), Faculty and Discussant on Howard Bacal's theory of "Optimal Responsiveness."
- Twentieth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1997), presented case for Master Class with James Fosshage, Ph.D.
- Nineteenth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1996), Faculty and Co-discussant of Paper by William J. Coburn, Ph.D., "Unconscious Communication and Narcissistic Vulnerability in the Countertransference Experience."
- Nineteenth Annual Conference on the Psychology of the Self (1996), presented case for Master Class with James Fosshage, Ph.D.
- The Toronto Institute of Contemporary Psychoanalysis (September 1994): Provided case material for workshop, afternoon discussion: "Are Dreams Still The Royal Road To Psychoanalytic Treatment" with James Fosshage, Ph.D. and Joshua Levy, Ph.D.
- Faculty and Moderator of the "1993 Fourth Annual Day in Psychoanalysis: Curative Factors in Psychoanalysis," The Toronto Psychoanalytic Society.
- Sixteenth Annual Conference on The Psychology of the Self (1993), Faculty and Co-discussant with Paul Tolpin, M.D. of Paper by Henry Seiden, Ph.D., "The Healing Presence: The Witness as Self-Objective Function."
- Sixteenth Annual Conference On The Psychology of the Self (1993) presented case for Master Class with Alan Kindler, M.D.
- Seminar for Mental Health Professionals (1992) "Divorce Law: Realistic Expectations in and out of the Courtroom." Boca Raton, Florida.
- YWCA Educational Symposium (videotaped for television) on "The Emotional Aspects of Divorce" (1992)
- Child Clinical Law Colloquium (1988) Presentation on "Transference and Countertransference in Clinical Practice."
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section Annual Meeting (1988) Speaker on "The Psychological Causes of Divorce".
- Boston Psychoanalytic Institute: Paper presented at the Second Annual Advanced Training Program Graduate Symposium (Spring, 1986).
Psychoanalytic Society Of Upstate New York
Organized and Moderated the following major Annual Psychoanalytic Society of Upstate New York Conferences in Buffalo:
|1992 ||Andrew Morrison, M.D.; "Shame"
|1993 ||James Herzog, M.D.,: "Fathers and Play"
|1994 ||Elliott Markson, M.D.; "Depression and Moral Masochism"
|1995 ||Peter Thomson, M.D.; "Repetition and Working Through Childhood Psychic Trauma in the Psychoanalytic Relationship: A Case History"
|1996 ||Jeremy Nahum, M.D.; "What Causes Change In Psychoanalytic Therapies: A Model Based On Infant Development"
|1997 ||James Fosshage, Ph.D.; "New Understandings and Use of Countertransference in Contemporary Psychoanalysis"
|1998 ||Martha Stark, M.D.; "Models of Therapeutic Action"
|1999 ||Ronald Zirin, Ph.D.; "Contemporary Psychoanalytic Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder."
|2000 ||Donna Orange, Ph.D.; "Whose Reality Is It Anyway?"
|2001 ||Joseph Lichtenberg, M.D.; "Hatred and Its Rewards."
|2002 ||Joseph Lichtenberg, M.D.; "Attachment Theory and Love."
|2003 ||Lance Dodes, M.D., "The Heart of Addiction."
|1995-1997 ||New York State Psychological Association ||Secretary of Clinical Division
|1992-1993 ||Smith College Doctoral Program in Social Work ||Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
|10/77-7/82 ||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA ||Instructor in Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry
|10/77-7/82 ||The Children's Hospital, Boston, MA ||Consultant in Psychology in the Division of Adolescent Medicine
|2/77-6/79 ||Wellesley College, Wellesly, MA ||Staff Psychologist Student Health Service
|4/75-4/76 ||McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA ||Research Fellow
|7/73-6/74 ||Massachusetts Mental Health Center, Boston, MA ||Internship in Clinical Psychology